Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Guest Post: An F&M alumnus' reflection

By Sean Quinn ’97, Trial Lawyer at Sheridan & Murray, LLC (Philadelphia)

Fifteen years ago this coming May, I graduated from Franklin & Marshall. I was 22 years old and I thought that I had it all figured out. My plan: go to law school, make law review, land a high-paying corporate law position at a big firm, play lots of golf, and make tons of money. Easier said than done, but what did I know….that was my plan.

I started law school that fall. I was a proud member of Penn State Law’s first class of students. I was prepared and ready to work hard to achieve the goals that I had set for myself. Civil Procedure, Criminal Law, Property, Contracts, Torts, Research & Writing didn’t stand a chance. I was going to excel no matter what class they threw at me. I saw those classes as hurdles that I needed to clear before I could get to the corporate and business law classes that would spur my career as a big-time corporate lawyer.

Then a funny thing happened though, I found myself drawn to the litigation classes like Torts and Civil Procedure, and hating transactional law classes like Contracts and Property. I blamed it on my professors and was confident that my zeal for corporate and business law would return during the second semester. Well, that didn’t happen and it caused me to reflect on my plan and my future.

I realized, for the first time, that my plan was doomed. It became apparent to me that my plan was predicated solely upon potential earnings, and not my interests and talents. Litigation was where I was meant to be. I thought to myself: how did I not know this sooner?

My plan had changed, and I quickly refocused the direction of my education. I took every litigation and advocacy course available. I competed for moot court and was named captain of our national trial team. I worked tirelessly outside of the classroom as well clerking for a local law firm, interning for a civil trial judge, and externing for the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s office.

I found my passion and calling in litigation. Over a decade later, I remain proud to be a trial lawyer.

If I could give you only one piece of advice as you move on to law school, it would be to do something that you are passionate about. It is the key to a successful career.

-Sean Quinn ‘97

Sean E. Quinn, Esquire
SHERIDAN & MURRAY, LLC
1600 Market Street, Suite 2500
Philadelphia, PA 19103
215-977-9500
squinn@sheridanandmurray.com
LinkedIn: http://tinyurl.com/7tyo4lc
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/squinn71

No comments:

Post a Comment